The key to purchasing size-friendly furniture is knowing which features to look for and knowing where to shop. Yes, the color and style of the furniture is important; but, in the long run, you will find that the color and style will not be as important to you as how well the comfort and appearance hold up over the years.
Whether you are purchasing a recliner, a patio chair or a mattress, be sure you do your homework. Ask lots of questions. Make sure the furniture has all the key features that result in long-term comfort and appearance after many years of use by larger bodies.
Key Features for Size-Friendly Furniture
Well-constructed furniture will be more durable and more comfortable. It will:
- be made of materials that don’t break down over time after supporting the weight of larger bodies
- have joints and supports to hold a larger body without poking or prodding
- have moving parts (i.e. the reclining mechanism in a recliner or the fold out legs of a patio chair) which will withstand the pressure of heavier bodies without breaking down
- have soft parts (i.e. the cushions of a chair or the foam on a mattress) that will not break down and lose their shape
Some of the clues to well-constructed furniture are solid or laminated wood and the overall weight of the furniture or mattress. Consumer Reports Mattress Buying Guide that details the various types of mattresses. Consumer Reports members can also access has an excellent online mattress ratings.
Even with great construction, a piece of furniture could lose its value if the fabric breaks down. Good quality fabric will not rip, fade or pull apart at the seams. Look for:
- thicker fabrics that will withstand prolonged seating or movement by heavier bodies
- tightly woven fabrics that will not rip or split with pressure
- fabric blends that will stand up to vigorous use (i.e. heavy weight cottons or leather)
Delicate fabrics may look great on a chair; but, if the chair is going to be used daily, the fabric may split or rip apart at the seams.
Shopping Tips for Size-Friendly Furniture
- Don’t let price be your only deciding factor. Well-constructed furniture and mattresses which are made of quality fabrics are more expensive. A good shopping technique is to wait until the well-constructed chair or mattress goes on sale. Good months for furniture sales are January/February and August/September. You can save up to 50%. Mattress sales in February will save you as much as 33%.
- Look for a warranty of five years or more. The longer the better. The warranty is the manufacturer’s promise of how long the furniture will remain functional. Sometimes the warranty will be for replacement of parts known to need replacement over time (i.e. foam edges on cushions or mattresses).
- Go online to research what’s available and where to purchase. Manufacturers will often provide specs and details that will make comparison shopping easier. Manufacturers’ website, or a quick search on Google or Yahoo will point out where the chosen furniture and mattresses can be purchased.
You can make your life easier with size-friendly furniture. All it takes is a little online research to find indoor furniture, outdoor furniture and mattresses for everyday lifestyle needs or a gift for dad.