The goal of this article is to help you find a size-friendly airline that will have comfortable seats and a welcoming attitude for plus size, big or tall travelers. This is a compilation of comments made about various airlines. It’s by no means exhaustive. Most airline seats are only 17″ wide. For detailed information which compares airline seat widths on various aircraft, find your airline and aircraft on SeatGuru.
Plus size holiday airline travel can become unbearable. In addition to the small seats on the airplane, the holidays add the stress of crowded airports and planes.
Tips for Plus Size Holiday Airline Travel
To maximize your comfort and minimize your stress, consider these four travel hacks:
1. Travel when the plane is least crowded.
Even during the holidays, planes are less crowded over night (i.e. from 9 PM to 6 AM). Flying on the holiday itself will also be significantly less crowded than flying a few days before or after the holiday. For example, two uncrowded flight dates are Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
Airplane travel in your future? For best results, do your research now and follow these five tips on how to find the best airline seats for overweight passengers.
- Fly to popular airports. Bigger airports tend to have larger planes (and more of them going to your destination) which will usually result in more seats to choose from.
- Fly during unpopular hours. The plane is less likely to be crowded at midnight than it would be a 2 P.M. And, “off hour flight times” usually give you more seat selection and a greater chance to have an empty seat next to you.
- Check out the size of the seats and seat area on the airline you are considering. Before you book your seat, check out the seat’s width, legroom and seat pitch (the space between rows) on Seat Guru. Tip: Some airlines have special areas in coach with more seat pitch. You may pay a little more for your seat; but, you will be a lot more comfortable than being crammed in a low pitch seat zone.
- Select your seat when you book your flight. If your booking agent can’t give you a seat selection, call the airline immediately after making your reservation and reserve your specific seat.
- Sit on the aisle. The seat is not any wider than a window seat but you will have more shoulder room.
One more thought: Be sure to check back the day before departure to make sure that the airline has not changed the type of plane to be used or switched your seat selection.