It can be really hard to find great summer hats if your head or hairstyle requires a larger hat. The standard “One Size Fits Most” hat only fits a head that measures up to 22 3/4 to 23 inches – this is a size 7 3/8 for men or a size 7 1/4 for women.
Knowing how to figure sizes for hats, gloves and socks can be a real mystery when you are shopping for yourself or for a gift.
- Who would wear a size 7 1/2 hat? Is a 7 1/2 hat the same size on the woman’s hat as a size 7 1/2 men’s hat?
- Who would wear a size medium men’s glove and why is it bigger than a medium women’s glove?
- What is a size 9-11 sock? Does that relate to shoe size? If so, what size sock should a woman wear if she wears a size 7 1/2 shoe?
What exactly do these size numbers mean?
How to Guide: Sizes for Hats, Gloves and Socks
The key to successfully measuring for hats, gloves and socks is the cloth tape measure. If you don’t have a cloth tape measure, just take the head, hand or foot measurement using a non-stretchy tape or string, and then measure the tape or string against a yardstick or metal tape.
You don’t have to spend a lot to make life for the big guy easier and more fun. Here are a few ideas for big & tall men gifts under $50.
Shopping Ideas: Big & Tall Men Gifts
1. Make his shower more comfortable. Consider a curved shower curtain rod to get extra width between the wall and the shower curtain and he will have a more enjoyable shower experience. Very easy to install. Under $37.
2. Give him a warm hat that really fits his head like the Gray Ear Flap Baseball Cap from Big Head Caps. Under $35.
3. Let him sit comfortably. If he tailgates, fishes or just likes sitting in his yard, Amazon carries a wide selection of folding outdoor furniture that are super sturdy. Under $40. Is he an NFL fan? Then, be sure to check out the NFL folding outdoor chairs.
4. Give him more room when he drives. Seat belt extenders for cars and trucks are very affordable, require no installation and make a super gift. Under $40.
5. Sooth his aching muscles. Why fight with a tiny heating pad? Instead, check out the Sunbeam XXL Massaging Head Therapy Neck, Shoulder & Back Wrap. Under $50.
6. Give him socks that fit his wide foot and leg. Destination XL has a 3-pack of extra-wide crew socks for casual or work. $30/3-pack.
7. Make it easier to complete projects at home or work with the LivingXL Tool Belt. Under $50.