Body shaming and self-acceptance have become hot education topics; so, there are many body acceptance kids books available these days. Some of the books focus on self-esteem, some celebrate all shapes and sizes and some add messages of treating others with kindness. So, the more body acceptance books kids are exposed to, the greater the chance they will start to accept and celebrate their body and the bodies of those around them.
Great Body Acceptance Kids Books
For Ages 1-8
For younger children, look for a book that tells its story using kid-friendly content with colorful images and fun themes. The goal is to find a story line that is so engaging that the child will want to reread the book over and over.
Our GrandStyle editors recommend the following body acceptance books for kids under eight. These books are fun and well-written and, as a result, have proven to be very popular with younger readers and listeners:
- It’s Okay To Be Different Bright colors, witty characters & content and bright-colored silly images…just downright great fun! 4-7 years.
- Dancing in the Wings Written by choregrapher Debbie Allen. Sassy wants to be a ballerina but she is worried that her feet are too big and her legs are too long. A famous director comes to her class and Sassy does her best to get his attention and win him over. 4-8 years.
- Your Body is Awesome: Body Respect for Children This book is beautifully written, wonderfully illustrated, easy to read and delivers a very important message in an enchanting manner regardless of age, gender or ethnicity. 4-7 years.
- Shapesville is a picture book about five friends who are all different shapes, sizes, and colors, each with a unique talent. The characters encourage the reader to be proud of their body. 3-8 years.
- I am Tooki: A Book About Being You Tooki is a friendly owl who teaches children to love themselves unconditionally, recognize their own uniqueness, and treat others with kindness. 1-8 years.
For Ages 8-Preteen
Older children and preteens are more engaged with a book that tells a powerful story. Therefore, fun, colorful images are not as important as the book’s theme and content.
Here are some of the most popular body acceptance and self-esteem books for the older child and preteens:
- Smile This is the story of a sixth grade girl who falls and injures her two front teeth. Over the next years she suffers through surgery, false teeth, orthodontia and the body blues of a maturing body. The story is well-told and takes the reader through all the challenges faced by a middle school girl. 8-12 years.
- 45 Pounds (More Or Less) Ann, a sixteen year old girl, is asked to be a bridesmaid by her aunt who is getting married in two months. Ann decides she needs to lose 45 pounds before the wedding. The book has a realistic storyline, believable characters and a story of courage and triumph.
Due to their self-esteeming content, body acceptance kids books can be great presents for kids and teens. And, they also make great contributions for schools, libraries and medical offices.